- Best Overall: Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake
- Best Budget: Monoprice 8-Channel 1/4 Inch TRS Male
- Best Value: Mogami Gold DB25-XLRM-05 Analog Recorder Interface Cable
- Editor's Choise: Seismic Audio - SASRT-24x15-24 Channel 1/4" TRS Snake Cable
Mogami Gold DB25-XLRM-05 Analog Recorder Interface Cable, 8 Channel, DB25 to XLR-Male, 5 ft.View on Amazon
Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake, Hosa 12 x XLR Sends and 4 x 1/4 in TRS Returns, 50 ftView on Amazon
Seismic Audio - SASRT-24x15-24 Channel 1/4" TRS Snake Cable - 15 Feet Long - Serviceable Ends - Pro Audio Effects Snake for Live Live, Recording, Studios, and Gigs - Patch, Amp, Mixer, AudioView on Amazon
- BrandSeismic Audio
GLS Audio 25ft Mic Cable Patch Cords - XLR Male to XLR Female Black Microphone Cables - 25' Balanced Mike Snake Cord - 10 PACKView on Amazon
- BrandGLS Audio
Monoprice 8-Channel 1/4 Inch TRS Male to 1/4 Inch TRS Male Snake 26AWG Cable C/d - 20 Feet with 8 Balanced Mono/Unbalanced Stereo LinesView on Amazon
GLS Audio 12ft Mic Cable Patch Cords - XLR Male to XLR Female Black Cables - 12' Balanced Mike Snake Cord - 10 PackView on Amazon
- BrandGLS Audio
Monoprice 4-Channel XLR Male to XLR Female Snake Cable Cord - 10 Feet- Black/Silver with Metal Connector Housings Plastic and Rubber Cable BootsView on Amazon
Last update on 2023-05-30 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Mogami Gold DB25-XLRM-05 Analog Recorder Interface Cable
Verdict: The Mogami Gold DB25-XLRM-05 Analog Recorder Interface Cable is a high-quality cable designed to provide a reliable and noise-free signal transmission. It is suitable for use with a wide range of recording machines, consoles, and patch bays, making it a versatile option for professionals. Additionally, the cable comes with a lifetime warranty, which shows Mogami's commitment to quality.
- Brand: Mogami
- Connector Type: XLR
- Cable Type: VGA
- Compatible Devices: Microphone
- Connector Gender: Male-to-Male
- Length: 5 ft.
- Channels: 8
- Connector Type: DB25 to XLR-Male
- Cable Type: Neglex 2932 Multicore Snake Microphone cable
- The price may be higher than other options on the market.
- The cable is only available in certain lengths, which may not be suitable for all setups.
- The Mogami Gold DB25-XLRM-05 Analog Recorder Interface Cable is made of high-quality materials, making it a durable and reliable option.
- The cable is designed to provide a noise-free signal transmission, which is crucial for professional audio recording.
- The cable comes with a lifetime warranty, providing peace of mind for the purchaser.
Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake
The Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake is a reliable and durable choice for musicians and sound engineers looking for a 12-channel snake with 50 feet of length. It features high-quality connectors and a sturdy stage box for efficient organization and easy setup.
The Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake comes with 12 male 3-pin XLR and TRS connectors on the fan-out end, and female 3-pin XLR and 1/4" phone connectors on the stage box end. The cable length is 50 feet, providing ample reach for most live performance and studio setups.
The Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake may be heavier and bulkier than some other snake cables, making it less portable and more challenging to transport. Some users may find that the cable tends to tangle or kink, which can be frustrating and time-consuming to unravel.
The Hosa SH-12X4-50 Pro-Conex Stage Box Snake is a high-quality, professional-grade cable with reliable connectors that provide clear and consistent sound. The stage box is sturdy and well-designed, allowing for efficient organization and easy setup. The 50-foot length is suitable for most performance and recording environments and provides ample reach for most setups.
Seismic Audio - SASRT-24x15-24 Channel 1/4" TRS Snake Cable
The Seismic Audio SASRT-24x15 is a reliable 24 channel snake cable suitable for live performances, recording studios, and gigs. Its durable construction and serviceable ends make it a solid choice for those who require a long-lasting, high-quality cable for their audio equipment.
- Model: SASRT-24x15
- Connector Type: Auxiliary
- Color: Gold
- Connector Gender: Male-to-Male
- Channels: 24 1/4" TRS on each end
- Length: 15 Feet
- Conductor: 22 ga high purity copper
- Color coded and numerically labeled
- The cable may not be suitable for those who require XLR connectors.
- Some users may find the cable to be heavy and difficult to manage due to its thickness.
- The serviceable ends allow for easy repair if necessary.
- The high-quality construction of the cable ensures durability and longevity.
- The color coded and numerically labeled channels make it easy to keep track of connections.
- The 24 channels offer versatility for a variety of audio setups.
GLS Audio 25ft Mic Cable Patch Cords
The GLS Audio 25ft Mic Cable Patch Cords - XLR Male to XLR Female Black Microphone Cables are a reliable option for those in need of a balanced microphone cable. With high-grade copper conductors and a sturdy rubber jacket, this 10-pack provides a cost-effective solution for multiple setups.
- Connector Type: XLR
- Cable Type: XLR
- Length: 25ft
- Jacket Material: Flexible Rubber
- Conductors: 21g Dual Copper
- Shielding: True Balanced Lo-Z Shielded Cable
- Strain Relief: Tri-Grip & Rubber Booty
- The rubber jacket may not be as durable as other materials, making it susceptible to wear and tear over time.
- The connectors may not be as secure as some users would prefer, leading to intermittent connection issues.
- The true balanced Lo-Z shielding provides high-quality noise-free performance, ensuring clear and accurate sound transmission.
- The flexible rubber jacket and tri-grip strain relief make the cables easy to work with and help prevent cable damage from bending or twisting.
- The 10-pack provides a cost-effective solution for those in need of multiple microphone cables.
HOSA DTP803 Balanced Snake DB25 to 1/4" TRS
The HOSA DTP803 Balanced Snake DB25 to 1/4" TRS is a reliable and flexible option for connecting your digital multitrack recorder to your console. With XLR connectors and OFC conductors, this snake offers enhanced signal clarity and rugged reliability. However, it is important to note that this snake requires two cables for both inputs and outputs, making it less convenient than some other options on the market.
- Brand: HOSA
- Connector Type: D-sub 15
- Cable Type: XLR
- Compatible Devices: Smartphone
- Special Feature: Requires two cables for both inputs and outputs
- Requires two cables for both inputs and outputs, making it less convenient than some other options on the market.
- XLR connectors with internal strain relief for rugged reliability
- OFC conductors for enhanced signal clarity
- OFC spiral shields for effective EMI and RFI rejection and flexibility
- Great to use for balanced 1/4 inch phone connections at the console
- Connectors: 25-pin D-Sub to 8 Balanced 1/4 inch TRS Male
Monoprice 8-Channel 1/4 Inch TRS Male to 1/4 Inch TRS Male Snake 26AWG Cable C/d
Overall, the Monoprice 8-Channel 1/4 Inch TRS Male to 1/4 Inch TRS Male Snake 26AWG Cable is a solid option for musicians and recording studios looking for an affordable snake cable solution. With 8 balanced mono or unbalanced stereo lines and color-coded wires, this cable is easy to use and provides good sound quality.
|Compatible Devices||Musical Instrument|
|Unit Count||1 Count|
|Item Weight||4.04 Pounds|
|Number of Items||1|
|Package Type||Standard Packaging|
|Item model number||601196|
|Item Weight||4.04 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||11.8 x 10.7 x 3.3 inches|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||11.8 x 10.7 x 3.3 inches|
|Country of Origin||China|
|Is Discontinued By Manufacturer||No|
|Date First Available||February 7, 2014|
Some users have reported that the connectors are not as durable as they would like and can become loose over time. Additionally, this cable is only 20 feet in length, which may not be sufficient for larger recording or performance setups.
One of the biggest advantages of the Monoprice snake cable is its affordability. It provides good value for its price and is a great option for those on a budget. The color-coded wires make it easy to identify which channels are which, which is a helpful feature. The 26AWG conductors and aluminum foil shielding also ensure good sound quality.
When it comes to buying a snake cable, there are a few key factors to consider:
Number of channels: Consider how many channels you will need to connect. In pro studios and live rigs, snakes with up to 48 channels are common, while for home studios, 8 and 16 channel snakes are more typical.
Length: Measure the distance between the stage or recording area and your mixing console, and add a little extra for slack. This will help you determine the length of snake cable you need.
Connectors: Think about which type of connectors you will need on each end of the snake cable. Will you need fanouts, junction boxes, or D-sub connectors? Make sure the snake cable you choose has the appropriate connectors for your equipment.
Quality: Consider the quality of the snake cable you are purchasing. While it can be tempting to choose a lower-priced option, investing in a higher quality snake cable can save you money in the long run by reducing the need for repairs or replacements.
Brand reputation: Look for reputable brands with a track record of producing high-quality cables. Reading reviews from other customers can also help you make an informed decision.
Compatibility: Make sure the snake cable you choose is compatible with your existing equipment. Check the specifications of your mixing console, microphones, and other gear to ensure that the snake cable you choose is compatible with all of them.
Budget: Determine how much you are willing to spend on a snake cable. While higher-priced options may offer better quality, it's important to stay within your budget to avoid overspending.
What is the purpose of a snake cable?
A snake cable is a group of several audio cables contained within a single outer casing. The main benefit of using a snake cable is organization - it's much easier to manage one large cable than dozens of individual cables. Snake cables are commonly used in professional recording studios and live concert venues.
What are the different types of snake cable connectors?
There are three main types of snake cable connectors: fanout/breakouts, junction boxes, and Dsub connectors. Fanout/breakouts split the snake into single connectors of XLR/m, XLR/f, TRS, or TS. Junction boxes split the snake into individual inputs, consolidated within a box. Dsub connectors consolidate many channels into a single connector, making it easier to connect multiple cables at once.
How many snake cable channels should I get?
The number of snake cable channels you need depends on your specific setup. In pro studios and live rigs, it's common to see snakes with up to 48 channels. For home studios, 8 and 16 channel snakes are more common.
What are some recommended snake cable models for home studios?
Some recommended snake cable models for home studios include the Hosa SH-8X0-25 Little Bro Sub Snake, the Seismic Audio SASH-8x30 Pro Stage Box Snake, and the Whirlwind Mini 12 Low Profile Audio Drop Snake.
Are there any alternatives to snake cables?
While not technically snake cables, there are two commonly used digital cables that serve a similar purpose: ADAT and Ethernet (Cat5e) cables. ADAT cables send 8 channels of digital audio at 48kHz (or 4 channels at 96kHz) and are commonly used to send digital audio from a multi-channel mic preamp to the input of an audio interface. Cat5e cables can connect even more channels than ADAT and can also extend for long distances and provide power to the receiving device, making them popular with advanced headphone distribution systems.
In conclusion, snake cables are an essential piece of equipment for professional recording studios and live concert venues. By consolidating multiple audio cables into a single outer casing, they provide organization and ease of use for managing complex setups with many inputs and outputs.
When shopping for snake cables, it's important to consider factors such as the number of channels needed, the type of connectors required, and the length of the cable. Additionally, it's worth considering alternatives such as ADAT and Ethernet cables for digital audio transmission.
For home studios or modest live rigs, there are many affordable and high-quality snake cable options available, including some of our top recommendations in this guide.
Whether you're a professional audio engineer or a hobbyist musician, understanding snake cables and their various applications can help you achieve a more streamlined and efficient setup.